Regional specialities and sports around Mont Ventoux
“Cycle through the Sault Valley and the Nesque River Canyons”
We propose a discovery journey through the Nesque River canyons during a peaceful stay with emphasis on outdoor activities and great discoveries. The beauty of the foothills of Mont Ventoux belongs to the local inhabitants, who are delighted to share the savours and fragrances of discrete, secret Provence with those who take the time to open all five senses while here. Your journey takes you through grandiose landscapes as you cycle through the second highest wild canyon in Provence and discover the charms and magic of the Val de Sault, land of truffles, honey, sheep-raising, spelt, lavender and artisanal production. An entire weekend of the good life as lived around Mont Ventoux.Details on the ride
- Start from the village of Villes-sur-Auzon (17km from Carpentras)
- Distance: 66 km
- Villages crossed: Villes-sur-Auzon, Monieux, Sault, Méthamis
- Download the itinerary by clicking here Les Gorges de la Nesque
Thinking ahead…Don’t miss…
- In Monieux: the old village, Léon Doux square with magnificent views over the Sault Valley
- In Sault: the historical centre and the promenade opposite the Tourism Office. Stunning views.
- Between Méthamis and Villes-sur-Auzon: characteristic terraced Ventoux vineyards
Things to do…
- Stop at the Terra Ventoux wine cellar in Villes-sur-Auzon. The cellar offers vineyard strolls and tours.
- Shop at the Farmers’ Market in Monieux, every Sunday morning from April to September. Rest and refresh yourself at the Lake in Monieux ; Visit the Truffle and Eggcup Museum
- Take in the Provencal market in Sault which takes place every Wednesday morning. And don’t miss the artisanal pastry and nougat shop, Nougat Boyer.
Road book…Day 1: Villes-sur-Auzon to Sault
Leave from Villes-sur-Auzon on the scenic road to the Nesque River Canyons, for a gentle climb all the way to Monieux.
Lunch in Monieux at the Restaurant les Lavandes: truffles are their specialty
Sault is not far, so take the time to discover:
In Monieux: The Truffle and Eggcup Museum (no charge); Monieux Lake (no charge),
In Sault: Tour the artisanal pastry shop Nougat Boyer (no charge, book ahead for the tour)
Have tea and taste the specialties at the L’Etape tea salon in Sault
Day 2: Sault to Villes-sur-Auzon
From Sault you cycle to the village of Méthamis through Mediterranean landscapes of scrubland and oak. After Méthamis and all the way to Villes-sur-Auzon, hills planted with AOC Ventoux des Terrasses du Ventoux vineyards.
Lunch in Villes-sur-Auzon at the Les P'tits Bonheurs restaurant (special menu for cyclists): Traditional Provençal cuisine.
In Villes-sur-Auzon: the Terra Ventoux wine cellar offers top-quality tours, events and workshops on wine, the vineyards, the terroir.
Stay longer in the Sault area
Take advantage of being in the Sault area to extend your discovery stay, and cycle along the Plateau d’Albion(Albion highlands), leaving from Sault. Wild, immense landscapes along this limestone plateau. Beautiful scenery, unrivalled sensations of isolation and freedom.
“Ventoux Cyclists Welcome” extra touches to simplify your stay…- You can request bicycle delivery and pick-up from your biker renter wherever you are in the Mont Ventoux area.
- Baggage transfer service provided by renters, accommodations and transporters in the
- “Ventoux Cyclists Welcome” network.
- Go with a professional cycling guide from “Ventoux Cyclists Welcome”.